Sunday, July 25, 2010

Assaggi Restaurant & Mozzarella Bar

Tonight my SIL took myself and my other SIL to dinner at a truly exquisite restaurant in Bethesda MD.  The menu stated they had GF pasta so I have been eagerly anticipating this dinner for over a week.  It also has a mozzarella bar - OMG this was truly amazing.  The large order came with 3 different types of mozzarella and  4 different condiments - fresh tomato, marinated eggplant, basil marinated zucchini and a green tomato relish (outstanding). My SILs ate theirs on bread - there was not any gluten free bread or crackers so I just ate mine with a fork.  The textures of the cheeses were all so different - but all so wonderful.  

Then we ordered our main entrée.  I was told I could get any sauce on the GF pasta - so I ordered one with clams, olive oil, and crushed red pepper.  The waiter (who other than being a bit of a ditz, was very good) came back and said that they were out of the sauce - so I changed it to a duck ragu.  He then came back and said they were out of GF pasta.  So I had to order anything but pasta all which were twice as expensive as the pastas - and I was not paying for the dinner - it was a treat from my SIL - so I felt very guilty. I decided to try the risotto with scallops, zucchini, and zucchini flowers, and Parmesan cheese  which was truly amazing.  I wish I had remembered to take pictures of the meal - but alas it looked way too good and had to be eaten right away - and since I was kid free I got to enjoy it hot!  Always a plus.

Although I did not get to eat GF pasta out at a restaurant today - the meal was excellent - and I would go back again - hopefully they will have the pasta in stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment